Thursday, August 11, 2011

Merry Sisters of Fate Watcher Prompt Contest or Touching Up My Poet's Roots

The Merry Sisters of Fate (Brenna Yovanoff, Maggie Stiefvater, and Tessa Gratton) are hosting a prompt contest on their blog. One winner will receive these fabulous prizes: a signed ARC of "Scorpio Races" by Maggie, a signed ARC of "The Space Between" by Brenna, and a signed hardback of the recently released "Blood Magic" by Tessa.

The picture, "Meeting on The Turret Stairs” by Frederic Burton, was too perfect not to write for.

This poem is a pantoum, a poetic form based on the oral telling of 15th century Malayan literature.

“Sin”

My heart is consumed by Hellfire.
Loving you brings a thousand deaths to my soul.
Save me, my God, from this wild desire,
An unquenched passion that shall not be consoled

Loving you brings a thousand deaths to my soul.
We married in haste, those we did not love
An unquenched passion that shall not be consoled;
Dreaming of you is but a curse from above.

We married in haste those we did not love,
Though it saved you from courtly scorn.
Dreaming of you is but a curse from above
And I mourn, oh the loss of you that I mourn.

Though it saved you from courtly scorn,
I have no choice now but to become a thief.
And I mourn, oh the loss of you that I mourn.Stealing a glance or smile disguised is a moment’s relief.

I have no choice now but to become a thief,
To hold you against me on darkened stairs.
Stealing a glance or smile disguised is a moment’s relief,
Your reluctance to leave, renews my despair.

To hold you against me on darkened stairs,
A touch not deep enough to sustain me.
Your reluctance to leave, renews my despair.
This is not how I wish us to be.

 
A touch not deep enough to sustain me.
Save me, my God, from this wild desire;
This is not how I wish us to be.
My heart is consumed by Hellfire.

2 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Fantastic poem and fits perfectly. (wandered over from Merry Sisters) I know nothing of pantoum but will immediately find out more!

Nicki Delone said...

Tricia-
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I have a bad habit of lurking on blogs without leaving comments. I know, bad manners. Glad you enjoyed the poem. Thinking about doing a poetry series exploring the lesser known poetic forms. Should be fun.

Post a Comment